bannerColor WARNING_YELLOW templateName stackForums

where do i find the Member ID / token

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jack Vliegendhart's picture
Dec 24, 2009
where do i find the Member ID / token

I've been looking in the profiles, forum, documentation, and google where i can find the member id or token. i can't find it I think when you view a profile, the token should be in the url after key={memberID} or in some cases id={memberID} but if i use that 'id' i get the following message:status     => 404message => Invalid member id {46675618}Also i think the id shoudn't be a number ?thnx,Jack

Dec 24, 2009

uhm one thing i forgot, i'm looking for the member id when i browsing the users as a normal (non developer) user. So when you are loged in to your account, and clicked on one of your connections. that's when i want to find the member id / token

Dec 28, 2009

Example:http://www.linkedin.com/profile?viewProfile=&key=1234567890&authToken=NB2E&authType=name&trk=pymkis this (underlined key value) the member ID ?

Anonymous (not verified)
Dec 28, 2009

All API operations, with the exception of any that are currently experiencing a bug , take "member tokens". In the LinkedIn API, we use the terms member token and member id interchangably. While a numeric key may appear on the extended site profile URLs, those are only meant to be used in those single contexts. For all other contexts, you'll want to use the alphanumeric member tokens we return in profile requests, network updates, search results, connection calls, etc with the person/id element.Thanks,Taylor

Dec 29, 2009

Thanks for your response,So where do i find the right alphanumeric token?I know you get one when you request a profile trough the API as 'id'. But the thing is, were going to use the application as a firefox plugin.In example:     - A user opens firefox     - log in to his or her linkedin account trough the plugin ( connection to API )      - opens a contact within his or her network     - clicks a button within firefox ( from the plugin i am building )     * now this is where i need to get the alphanumeric token so i can request the profile trough the api (this is where my problem is, can't find where)     - and then process the profile on our intranetSo is it possible to get the token alphanumeric from the above statement?Or do i need to grab the info from the profile on the site the user is viewing? and with that info use the search function in the API and get a token that way?thanks in advance,Jack Vliegendhart

Anonymous (not verified)
Dec 31, 2009

When you request the connections through the Connections API, that should come with a member token for each connection. You can simply use that member token to get the profile. These member tokens are called member IDs.

Dec 31, 2009

Thanks for your response Lucian,I know the member id's come with a request trough the API, but i at the point where i need it the profile is not requested trough the API. The user simply uses firefox to view a connection.Is it even possible to capture the member ID from somewere when viewing a profile using the normal linkedin site ?Sure, i can grab the name on the site, and use the search API to get the member ID, but that would not be efficient.Any ideas? thnx,Jack

Anonymous (not verified)
Jan 4, 2010

Hi Jack,What you're trying to do just won't be possible with the open API program. The open program works only when the obfuscated member tokens/ids that are specific to your API keys. Enhanced browsing of the LinkedIn website wouldn't be possible in this way. There are ways you could cache a member's connections and the profile URLs that lead to those connections for the duration of a browser session and use those to match up, but it'd likely be of limited value to you.Taylor

Jan 4, 2010

Hello Taylor,Thanks for your responce. gues i have to make it work another way.I'll post my solution when i have one.Jack

Gaurav Saini's picture
Oct 29, 2010

hello jackDo you get any solution

Nov 8, 2010

codeplex samples are easy to implement. You will find your solution there.

Gaurav Saini's picture
Nov 8, 2010

Hey Vaibhav,Sorry to say but I dont know what are codeplex samples and from where do I get them.Can you please elaborate.thanksGaurav.

Nov 8, 2010

linkedintoolkit.codeplex.commember id has confusion (might be a bug) in current API.Check this discussion..-http://linkedintoolkit.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=233983

Arnnei Speiser's picture
Oct 10, 2010

Hi Taylor / All,My need for the alphanumeric member token is different.The question is simply - if all I know is a member's id (numeric) can I get his public or other profile ?If yes - how.This member is in my network, 2nd degree connection.Thanks

Apr 8, 2011

hi Arnnei,did u find any solution?

Aug 4, 2010

through connection api you can simply get memberid of a connection.