bannerColor WARNING_YELLOW templateName stackForums

How can I show my LinkedIn Recommendations on another website

105 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lisa Zee's picture
Jan 12, 2010
How can I show my LinkedIn Recommendations on another website

Hello, Is it possible to somehow display the recommendations I have on my Linkedin profile show up on my own website or blog?Thanks!Lisa

Anonymous (not verified)
Jan 13, 2010

Hi Lisa,At this time it's not possible to show your recommendations either through a widget or via the API. It's functionality we'd like to add in the future though.Taylor

Lisa Zee's picture
Jan 14, 2010

Great.  I look forward to it.Thanks,Lisa

Meinaart van Straalen's picture
Mar 22, 2010

Any idea when this is going to be added? I would really like to display my recommendations on my website.

Mike Simmons, MBA's picture
Mar 31, 2010

What's the hold up? exposing a Recommendation API or providing a widget should be really easy for your crew. Lot's of people would use this. Please proivde it soon.

Marcel Schreyer's picture
May 19, 2010

Yes, pleeease!

John Ellis's picture
Jun 25, 2010

I would love this feature. It seems to be a win for LinkedIn and for users.

Adam Trachtenberg's picture
LinkedIn Employee
Jun 25, 2010

You ask. We respond!Recommendations received is now part of Profile data. You can get it like this:http://api.linkedin.com/v1/people/~:(id,first-name,last-name,recommendations-received)Enjoy!

Rob Gratton's picture
Aug 26, 2010

Is this just for the number of recommendations or the actual recommendations themselves?

Clarence Williams, PMP's picture
Dec 15, 2010

Did we ever get an answer to this?  I think the request it to have access to the data so the actual recommendations can be displayed on the site. Thanks,http://www.ClarenceWilliams.com

Adam Trachtenberg's picture
LinkedIn Employee
Dec 15, 2010

You can make an API call to http://api.linkedin.com/v1/people/~:(id,first-name,last-name,recommendations-received) and get the data you need. You should do this each time to make sure you have most up-to-date recommendation entries. But there is no easy widget you can embed. You would need to write code yourself.

Marie Overfors's picture
Mar 14, 2011

Gack! Write the code myself? Some of us are entrepreneurs flying solo in other, not-that-techy fields. I would LOVE to have my LinkedIn recommendations appear on my website, www.MarieOverfors.com.

Kirsten Hunter's picture
Mar 14, 2011

Marie,The Developer Portal is for code developers who are using the LinkedIn programmatic interface to integrate LinkedIn into their websites.  Please feel free to explore the documentation as that system requires less developer experience - but it is still software development.  If you want to integrate something into your website, perhaps you can partner with a developer who can do it for you.

Daniel Gullo's picture
Jun 10, 2011

@marie:  I totally agree.  Look at this simple and elegant widget (plugin) generator that Twitter has to display one's tweets on a site:  http://twitter.com/about/resources/widgets/widget_profile  LinkedIn already offers widget generators for other things.  So, it's not like this would be ground breaking functionality.@Adam Trachtenberg/Jeremy Johnstone/Kirsten Jones:  It should be precisely that easy to generate a list of recommendations from one's LinkedIn profile.  Creating hooks and apis that require custom coding is fine for the 5-10% of the people out there who actually do coding.  However, the other 80-90% of folks using LinkedIn aren't going to know how to use the API and won't have time to learn.  They need the widget generator.  How many many more users need to ask for this feature?? What is the escalation path for raising the priority for this one?  Who do I have to call to get this on the top of the product backlog?It's low-hanging fruit that would provide a huge amount of value.  This is about delighting customers.  Read Leadership Guide to Radical Management by Steve Denning.  It's all about continuous innovation and customer delight.Regards-Daniel Gullo, PMP, CSP, CSMTrinacria Consulting

Seth Goddard's picture
May 9, 2011

So then can you provide us with the Javascript that will do this?

Jeremy Johnstone's picture
May 10, 2011

Hi Seth,If you follow the Javascript tutorial JSAPI Tutorials you can actually get the majority of the way there. The specific example would be in the "Processing the return object" and you would need to modify the line which reads:

.fields(["id", "firstName", "lastName", "pictureUrl","headline"])

To also include "recommendationsReceived". Then you would need to modify the block which creates the markup to have the look and feel you want. The coding side of this is extremely easy if you are a Javascript dev, but getting the UI look and feel you want may potentially take a bit of iteration. Enjoy! -Jeremy

Brian Shacklock's picture
May 13, 2011

I'm struggling!  Please can you provide example code that I can use in my html file to recover my recommendations?I've entered my ID and names (with and without inverted comments) without success.  I just get an error file returned.

May 13, 2011

Hi Brian,Here is a quick code sample: https://gist.github.com/970913If you put in your API key and load it up in your browser, you will see your recommendations listed. Tweaking the Jquery code inside the loop will allow you to easily customize the look and feel of how they are displayed.-Jeremy

Joe Ravgiala's picture
Jul 6, 2011

Hi jeremy:You mentioned at gist that there is a way to present your recommendations without requiring to login. Can you share that code?

Kane Murphy's picture
Jun 28, 2011

Is this applicable to product/service recommendations?Thanks guys.

Stephan Wiedner's picture
Jun 10, 2010

I agree. This would be a fantastic feature.

Sue Buckingham's picture
Apr 28, 2011

This is crazy!  Last night I went to Facebook and got the pre-prepared code to have a 'like' and or 'recommend' button on my website, another button to send my website to other people via Facebook and a tidy little box to show my recommendations from Facebook on my website.  It was quick and easy.  Where is the LinkedIn version!

Kirsten Hunter's picture
Apr 29, 2011

I'm sorry to hear you're frustrated.  We are working on creating new plugins, but this forum is for discussing our REST-based API.  You can see which plugins are available in the section.  If you have questions or suggestions, please feel free to post them in the forum there.

Stefan Drew's picture
Jun 1, 2011

This is very disappointing .. isn't LinkedIn capable of producing a bit of code like other social networking sites.  The excuse that this site is for developers really isn't great .. we simple people haved a need, have found this site .. and would love an answer .... not to be fobbed off with excuses!

Jun 2, 2011

Hi Stefan,While I understand and appreciate your point of view and it's definitely something we are working to address, there are only so many hours in the day. We have to prioritize new functionality and features based on what is the best addition to the platform with demand being one factor that plays into that.As an aside, it feels a bit disingenuous to come to a site with the url "developer.linkedin.com" with a page title saying "LinkedIn Developer Network" and logo "LinkedIn Developers" at the top and complain that things here are primarily focused towards "developers". YMMV!Enjoy!-Jeremy

Cynthia Lewis's picture
Jul 9, 2011

Amen.  The sense of entitlement displayed on this thread is shocking.Hey folks?!  Web app development is not a trivial endeavor, and you guys haven't paid anyone to do this for you.   Responding to the very polite and helpful posts from LinkedIn staff regarding the free stuff they have provided you with by complaining "that's not good enough; we want it to be like facebook!" is disingenuous.Do you also want ads displayed on LinkedIn?  Do you want your personal information revealed without your permission, as facebook has done countless times to users?  Do you want to pay for a version of LinkedIn where you are entitled to receive custom code at your request?  Do you want your own clients to demand free stuff from you, and complain if the free work you give them isn't "good enough"?  If your answer to none of these questions is "yes", then stop complaining already.

Joe Ravgiala's picture
Jul 11, 2011

Hi Cynthia:I agree with most of what you are saying. But I thought recommendations were part of your public profile so why should users visting my site have to login to view my recommendations? I would want the ability to grant access to my site to have read access so other people visiting my site don't have to login to view my recommendations. If they wanted to view their info on my site...that is another matter.Thanks,Joe Ravgiala

Kirsten Hunter's picture
Jul 11, 2011

Joe, a logged-in user viewing their own data is exactly what the API used by the plugins was designed to do.  We are developing plugins for various use cases, but we need to prioritize those development resources vs. the needs of our partners and open developers.  The use case you're looking for is not what the platform was designed for.  This doesn't mean that we won't create a plugin, but it does mean that it will take more time than creating something which shows information about the logged in user, and will be prioritized accordingly.

Joe Ravgiala's picture
- (Reply to #28) Jul 14, 2011

Hi Kirsten:

I don't have a problem authenicating my credentials to retrieve the data. I was hoping that there would be an API that if a user came to my site they would see my recommendations received (since I am already authenicated). I think this is what most users are asking for in the various forums. Being a developer, I don't have a problem writing the code, I was hoping not to have people visting my resume to have to login to see my stuff.

I think this use-case would solve alot of the issues I am seeing where people are saying that Twitter and Facebook have this (even though those sessions aren't secure).

Thanks,
Joe Ravgiala

Kirsten Hunter's picture
- (Reply to #29) Jul 14, 2011

Hi Joe,

I understand what you're saying, but the visibility rules of LinkedIn are designed to make sure that people only see on other sites what they could see on LinkedIn. We don't have an easy way for someone to say "Show my stuff publicly on my site" because storing your credentials on a web page would be insecure (and would allow other people to see *any* of your data). This is not to say that we won't have a way to share that information on your own website in the future, but at this point there is no secure way to provide this functionality using the frameworks we have available.

Rob Cuesta's picture
Sep 23, 2011

Err, if it's not LinkedIn I'm paying, then who is that monthly charge on my Amex going to?

Rob Cuesta's picture
Sep 23, 2011

Err, if it's not LinkedIn I'm paying, then who is that monthly charge on my Amex going to?

Claude Albertario, RPSGT, RST's picture
Sep 28, 2011

How can visitors to my website be "Linked In" if they cannot see my recommendations lodged in your silo. And they should be able to see these recommendations freely, without having an account or being logged in to their LinkedIn account? It is silly on its face to claim to be a professional social site, but yet not allow the viewing of the professional's life blood, their recommendations.

Yes, some things need to remain private, and some things should be available to the public. Is it really that hard to accomplish or build something with dual rationale? The visitor either sees the things that are private (has credentials) or only sees the things that are public. Once we, as users, accept a recommendation, it implicitly means we are willing to have those words speak for us to the public. How does this not play directly into the main mission statement of the LinkedIn website?

Now, I see why other publishing venues shy away from using LinkedIn as their frontend. You have made a silo, and guard it vehemently against any extraneous thoughts or desires that do not fit your narrow view as to how you want to develop it or monetize it. Too bad. Many have ventured down the same path and lost their way before and have become a footnote in interwebtube history with that attitude.

We ARE your product. All the programming in the universe will do nothing without us arranging the bits into our personal story. So, listening to the end user, is rule number 1, not some tangent that happens to get in the way.

Jon Essen-Moller ★'s picture
Sep 28, 2011

Hi All and LinkedIn personnel,

Are there any code that can show a company's product or service's recommendations on a non-LinkedIn site?

Best,
Jon

Oct 3, 2011

Hi Claude,

While I completely understand where you are coming from, I must also remind you that while the end user is the most important, you are also one of over a hundred million other end users. What is the highest priority for you, is not the highest priority for everyone. There's only so many hours in the day! As such, some things will inherently take longer to roll out than others. I'm sure you understand that "professional social" is a wide topic space just like "sleep disorders" is and that there is only so much you can do at once to address the needs of the end users in that space. We appreciate your understanding!

-Jeremy

Amit Moshe's picture
Oct 6, 2011

Like many other companies, our company refers clients to recommend our product on Linked-In.

It's *essential* for us to have a widget to show product recommendations on our product website. This should work even if visitor is not logged-in, and if they are, show their degree relations to the people who recommended.

From my perspective, developing such a widget is not a huge undertaking, plus it's would seem very much in Linked-In's interest to do so (a lot more traffic). However, if a widget is too much at the moment, please at least add it to the API so we can build our own.

Oct 7, 2011

@Amit You mean something like this? https://developer.linkedin.com/documents/company-products-and-recommendations

Amir Salehi's picture
Oct 21, 2011

Hi,

I have a question. For developing a pice of code to show some information from linkedin for a user (like user's picture, connections, recommandations, and so on..), DO I need to regsiter a website and get a API-key?!! and what does that means?

Oct 24, 2011

Hi Amir,

This site (and these forums) is generally targeted towards developers, hence the name "LinkedIn Developer Network" / developer.linkedin.com. If the requirements for integration confuse you, I highly recommend you reach out to a development firm who can help you. You might consider taking a look at the list here: https://developer.linkedin.com/certified-developer-program

-Jeremy

Esger Jellema's picture
Dec 25, 2011

All we'd need is a named anchor (a href) around the Recommendations heading so we could link to it.
The recommendations section would have to be shown on the public profile page as well of course.

Anton van Horen's picture
Jan 7, 2012

Hi!

I've been following this thread for quite a while, but still no answers? LinkIn, please, we need it!

Jeremiah Togonon's picture
Jan 15, 2012

anyone interested for a linkedin recommendation plugin for your Wordpress website?

this plugin will show the recommendations your friends gave you in your LinkedIn profile.. you can install this in your Wordpress site.

contact me

Arjen Noordeman's picture
Jan 17, 2012

Yes Jeremiah, that's exactly what I need! Thanks

Phil England's picture
Jan 18, 2012

Jeremiah - yes please

How can I get this?

Anja Feijen's picture
Jan 19, 2012

I'm interested, I would like a Wordpress plugin for my received personal recommendations, where can I get it?

Sebastian Hunt's picture
Jan 24, 2012

Would love a Joomla module to display my recommendations on my site. Having trouble tracking one down - anyone seen one in use?

Shaguna Dhall's picture
Jan 24, 2012

Jeremiah, i'm looking for something exactly like this. Could you please share the details?

Ryan Nathanson's picture
Jan 30, 2012

I have a wordpress plugin pulling in my recommendations. Is this what you are looking for? www.ryannathanson.com

Shaguna Dhall's picture
Jan 30, 2012

Could you please share the details of this plugin? I haven't been able to find a wordpress plugin for this purpose.
Thanks!
Shaguna

Ryan Nathanson's picture
Jan 31, 2012

Pretty cool right? It's not really a plug in, it's a combination of plugins and a bit of tweaking.

Install a slider plugin, look for things like this: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/smooth-slider/screenshots/
There are a few available so find one that most closely fits your needs.

Install a testimonial plugin. Something like this: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/testimonials-widget/screenshots/
This one is super basic. If you want a photo to show up you'll need to download it from linkedin, upload it to your blog, and add the HTML code to show the photo.

Now combine them (testimonials into the slider). Check the documentation on each plugin on how to install each one.

Feel free to message me if you would like extra assistance.

Shaguna Dhall's picture
Jan 31, 2012

Ryan, it looks cool! Thanks for taking time out and sharing the details. I'm looking for something that I can use 'as-is', mainly because when new recommendations come in, i don't have to work again. Seems like laziness has no escape, and i will have to create something on my own like you did. Thanks for the tips! :)

Pages