bannerColor WARNING_YELLOW templateName stackForums

Security Verification - assistance?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Christie A. Cordes's picture
Aug 17, 2010
Security Verification - assistance?

I've been using linked in for years: LinkedIn is asking me to type in a 'coded word' to "verify account" - but the WORDS are not showing so I can't see them and then it does nothing if i press enter....I'm missing the coded words on my screen when linkedIn PROMTS me enter there words. Does anyone have an idea what is going on on? I followd the security recomendations and internet time - all seem to be fine

Anonymous (not verified)
Aug 18, 2010

Sounds like you're being prompted to fill in a CAPTCHA screen.  Sorry about that, it's designed to protect the site from spammers and hackers.

Christie A. Cordes's picture
Aug 18, 2010

LinkedIn is promting me to enter Captcha (letters) for security puposes....however there are NO captcha letters appearing in the prompt....and I'm completely locked out of my account - they are not displaying on my computer. I'm a paying client I wonder who I can get help from? I've been using the same computer for the last two years,,,,I can't see any sense to this GLITCH.Christie

Adam Trachtenberg's picture
LinkedIn Employee
Aug 18, 2010

Sorry about this. We're not trying to actively break any of the "good" people, such as yourself. But we know you want us to protect both us and you from the "bad" people, and they are quite crafty.Unfortunately, we have had reports that some people have experienced this exact issue that you reported. I believe it impacts people using IE 8. Maybe switching to another browser will let you route around this issue.Please go to http://linkedin.custhelp.com for more. At the top there is an article "CAPTCHA Security Image Not Visible so Can’t Sign In", which has full details. (At least it shows us for me. I'd search for it if you don't see it.)

Ryan Jackson's picture
Aug 25, 2010

"Maybe switching to another browser will let you route around this issue." I hear IE6 works wonders.

James Hutton's picture
Aug 25, 2010

I've noticed in Chrome and Firefox it is an adblock addon that prevents me from seeing the captcha images, maybe there's a setting you need to set in IE8 for LinkedIn?

Rajesh Ranjan's picture
Aug 25, 2010

I have expereinced the similar issue in FireFox 3.6 as well and currently using IE7 which works fine, doesn't show the CAPTCHA image and the step.

Ryan Jackson's picture
Aug 25, 2010

Can we disable that?This is seriously driving me nuts, and with all the devices and actually liking to keep my cookies and history pretty clean, I get it almost every time I sign in.I am and will continue to use this service less and less the more irritating it is to actually use.

Tim Miller's picture
Aug 25, 2010

Can we turn this off. It's absolutely the most annoying scheme I've used. It's like a IQ test that I keep failing. I'll stop using the service and come back in a month. Hopefully, I will be able to turn it off or it will be gone. Otherwise, I'm gone.

Bruce Levine's picture
Aug 26, 2010

You are driving users away from this tool.  I loaded IE8 and Firefox- neither work.  At the same time I have your sales people visit me to sell me your new recruiting tool- I find making this purchase highly unlikely unless you can resolve this quickly- it has been 2+ weeks and I cannot access my account- I cannot source talent- I cannot communicate with the hundreds of people I am connected to.  You have not responded to my emails- your solutions of using an alternative software are useless- CAPTCHA is ruing what was once a stellar reputation!!!!

James Hutton's picture
Aug 26, 2010

Wow, what a professional response Bruce.  I would suggest that maybe you have some sort of add blocking enabled for LinkedIn that is filtering on linkedin.com's captcha image.  I've had this problem on linkedin, but as soon as I disabled Adblock+ for the page, the captcha displayed correctly.  Have you tried this?

Adam Trachtenberg's picture
LinkedIn Employee
Aug 26, 2010

Hi everyone --I understand your frustration with CAPTCHAs. It's not our goal to make something that blocks our customers from using our site. On behalf of LinkedIn, I apologize for the difficulties anyone is having.We're not the only site that uses them. I come across them everyday on the Internet. Sometimes I have my own issues with them. And, yes, I've found them more frequent when I use a new machine or don't have a cookie from that site. You should see what my bank does to me when I try and sign in using a new browser or a new computer. But I understand they're there for the best of intentions.I also know that the people working on every site I use are doing their best to balance a number of tricky issues around customer experience, product usability, site security, and so on. I've had to wrestle with these things myself in previous jobs. The answers get harder every year.This said, I'm going to lock down this discussion thread and prevent future posts. These forums are for Developer Network questions on our APIs.  They're not the CAPTCHA support forums. We have our Customer Service Center for this problem and other related questions. Please go there instead.If anyone has a question on APIs, please ask away. But, please, nothing else on the CAPTCHA or other non-API questions about LinkedIn. It's not the appropriate place.Thanks for understanding.-adam

Topic locked