bannerColor WARNING_YELLOW templateName stackForums

Request to reactivate BeKnown developer API

43 posts / 0 new
Last post
- -
Jul 1, 2011
Request to reactivate BeKnown developer API

Recently, the BeKnown application on Facebook was blocked from using the LinkedIn API to honor LinkedIn members’ requests to access their own profile and connection data.  This makes the BeKnown app experience inconvenient for LinkedIn members. We are writing in support of reactivating  BeKnown’s developer API to allow LinkedIn users to port  profile and connection information to BeKnown.  Thanks.

Jul 1, 2011

I support the request to reactivate the BeKnown API

Cibele Abrantes's picture
Jul 5, 2011

I support the request to reactivate BeKnown developer API.

Jul 1, 2011

cry me a river.it's clearly a competing product that is trying to move users from LinkedIn to Monster.

Don Kosak's picture
Jul 1, 2011

You should own information you create, and your social "graph" is one big piece of that information.Companies that try to lock down their customer's information and create "walled fortresses" are going to lose in the end.  No one likes to be held "hostage". I like LinkedIn ~a lot~ and hate seeing this type of behavior from them.It would be one thing if Monster was "scraping" LinkedIn wholesale, but this doesn't seem to be the case here.  Monster's BeKnown appears to only use the API to assist individuals in connecting with their own existing contacts.  (Much in the same way that LinkedIn allows you to pull in your GMail contacts.)I'm not related in anyway to Monster or BeKnown, and I normally don't bother commenting on these types of API access decisions.  In this case though, I felt compelled to do so.I do hope LinkedIn chooses to reverse their decision after studying the situation. - Don Kosak

DeRicki Johnson's picture
Jul 2, 2011

Ditto.

Marc Drees's picture
Jul 2, 2011

Instead of wasting everybody's time requesting support to reinstate access for BeKnown to the LinkedIn API, spend some time reading the terms of use of the LinkedIn API. You have made it very clear that BeKnown is a competitive service to LinkedIn. Competititors are explicitely prohibited to use LinkedIn's API. Stop moaning and grow up.

Jose Alfonso Villalobos's picture
Jul 2, 2011

Let's Linkedin back on BeKown! I need to find job.

Glenn Barres's picture
Jul 2, 2011

I support adding it.  By being too restrictive on this kind of use of thier API, LinkedIn is showing it's insecurity in the marketplace.  This alone is a sign that maybe it is a good idea to use other vendors for this kind of service.And btw, to all the trolls complaining about people complaining, or wasting thier time to tell other people not to waste thier time...grow up.

Joanne Melanson, CHRP's picture
Jul 2, 2011

Smart competitors with similar products and services find ways to co-exist and even share customers based on niche offerings and consumer preferences.  Many younger Facebook users are dragging their feet in using LinkedIn, but inevitably will use the BeKnown app as a convenient job search tool and more. If Linkedin wants a piece of the pie with these (400 million?) possible converts, that would be forthcoming if it (a) was easier to get along with and (b) continues to offer and expand on the great value they have built over time.I have been networking professionally on LinkedIn for years, while never a big fan of the "too personal" feel of Facebook. I've recently increased FB use due to the introduction of Business Pages, as this is where I find the most value for me. BeKnown is an extension of that value, and I am checking it out "with or without" the convenience of LinkedIn portability. If I find value, I will use both. I'll bet most users won't be deterred from joining BeKnown just because of the LinkedIn block; but it does come across as a useless defiant tactic by a petulant 'sibling' that accomplishes nothing in the long run.There is room in this market for more than one dominant force - it was coming eventually anyway. Perhaps the big Monster has actually done LinkedIn two favours: (1) a 'don't drop the ball' wake-up call and (2) they will likely blow other competitors out of the water. LinkedIn has a distinct presence and character that attracts the professional networker; it will not disappear any time soon. NOW is the time to use the same visionary thinking it has in the past to continue their relevance and value to their loyal users and attract new users - and find ways to get along with the Monster in the room.

- -
Jul 3, 2011

LinkedIn, Beknown, Facebook Monster, ur wasting my time with your little games...and probably everyone else's who's desperately looking for work !I have +20 years of professional experience, I'm trilingual, I have a Master's degree, and I'm night shifting for minimum wage right now instead of whinig about the economic crisis, until I find something better;at least ur not charging money for basic services...and to whoever posted "grow up"...it's WAKE UP all you bourgeois de merde wimps !!! Shame, shame, shame !!!

Laura Díaz Bettarel's picture
Jul 3, 2011

Christiano Costa Pereira's picture
Jul 3, 2011

Helene van der Laag's picture
Jul 3, 2011

Please connect BeKnown to Linkedin!

Paresh Shah's picture
Jul 3, 2011

Dear LinkedIn Developer Team,Request you to   make possible    Reactivation of Beknown developer API'RegardsParesh Shah

Nikolay Kolev's picture
Jul 3, 2011

Restore BeKnown access. Not be chickens!

Luca Angeli's picture
Jul 3, 2011

Nese Senol's picture
Jul 3, 2011

Jorge Albinagorta's picture
Jul 3, 2011

BeKnown team, just get on with life. If you need this API to bring your business model to fruition, then you did not have a winner in the first place. If your proposition is compelling enough, even I will move my relevant contacts from wherever they are.Don't give up, keep it up. we need more competition in this space. best regards

John Allen Dees, Jr's picture
Jul 3, 2011

I would prefer to promote LinkedIn through my BeKnown account rather than Monster.

Madeleine Keur's picture
Jul 4, 2011

reactivate BeKnown app please.

Dominique Hanssen's picture
Jul 4, 2011

Dear LinkedIn Dev Team,Dont crawl back please and show us that you have guts!Regards,A (until now) satisfied linkedIn user

Richard Smith's picture
Jul 4, 2011

Dear Linked IN,I would like the API access to BeKnown restored as it is part of my business as a recruiter and social marketeer.There are people on this thread who are actively looking for work and Linked IN is limiting those persons.The whole world is social now so just move with it and I am sure that their can be some fantastic collaboration between both partiesRegardsRichard Smith

Greg George's picture
Jul 4, 2011

I tend to not use LinkedIn that much professionally, and honestly cannot see the real value in it.  While never a big fan of the "too personal" feel of Facebook. I've recently increased FB 'professionally' and  BeKnown is an extension of that Business Pages value, and I am checking it out "with or without" the convenience of LinkedIn portability. If I find value, I will use both. I'll bet most users won't be deterred from joining BeKnown just because of the LinkedIn block; but it does come across as a useless defiant tactic by a petulant 'sibling' that accomplishes nothing in the long run. You guys are definately loosing on on the untapped, younger demographic who will not go near your product. Monster figured it out.

Henk-Jan van Meerveld's picture
Jul 4, 2011

Jul 4, 2011

Please allow beknown to interact with linkedin.

Gonzalo Alonso's picture
Jul 4, 2011

Recently,  the BeKnown application on Facebook was blocked from using the LinkedIn  API to honor LinkedIn members’ requests to access their own profile and  connection data.  This makes the BeKnown app experience inconvenient  for LinkedIn members. We  are writing in support of reactivating  BeKnown’s developer API to  allow LinkedIn users to port  profile and connection information to  BeKnown.  Thanks.

Sean Killion's picture
Jul 4, 2011

As a "long time" (3-4 year) paying customer it makes absolutely no sense why LinkedIn would not enable this capability other than fear of competition.  Job seekers like companies also desire a multi-channel capability to market their respective personal brands to the broadest possible audience.   Shutting down the ability for a paying customer to access and export the information that they have built over a period of time into another application (competing or not) is down right offensive.   How would LinkedIn react if Yahoo!, Google or Xobni decided to turn off their API's because your company was diverting traffic away from their respective web-sites?   It also brings up the very important question of "Who owns the information that resides on LinkedIn?"  Do I still "own" my information (including my network of contacts) or have I naively forked it over to LinkedIn through some fine print in the ToS?    This might be a discussion of interest out in the public domain and something that the 100 million current users might also want to know.

Stacey M's picture
Jul 4, 2011

I am writing in support of reactivating  BeKnown’s developer API to allow LinkedIn users to port profile and connection information to BeKnown.

Wilmans Dennis's picture
Jul 5, 2011

It's easy to use it this way. Openness means freedom

Madeleine Keur's picture
Jul 5, 2011

Lisa Lotzer, SPHR's picture
Jul 5, 2011

I request that the 'professional' social networks learn to play nice together. Please allow the link between LinkedIn, BeKnown, etc. Thank you!

Terrence H. Gay's picture
Jul 5, 2011

reactivate !

Rhonda Sheptock's picture
Jul 5, 2011

PLEASE let us import our contacts to BeKnown

Keith Punches's picture
Jul 5, 2011

C'mon guys.  This totally gives off the vibe of you circling the wagons. Really bad message to send to your support base. Many companies have made this mistake (ref SUN and an endless list of "we're too big to fail" victims).  Congrats on your IPO.  I now know why you've picked this particular time to do that.  However, locking down your tech in the hopes of retaining marketshare puts you squarley on the fool's path.You're not Sun.  You're better than that.  Stop looking in the rear view mirror, hit the gas and stop this nonsense.

Juan Ramón Iribarren's picture
Jul 5, 2011

Camon Linkedin give us freedoom to share. Welcome to the SOCIAL media.

Stanley Calderelli's picture
Jul 5, 2011

support the request to reactivate the BeKnown API

Jul 5, 2011

Jul 5, 2011

Adam Trachtenberg's picture
LinkedIn Employee
Jul 6, 2011

Hi everyone,  As you may know, we regularly review applications to ensure adherence to our guidelines and terms of service, and on July 1st, we notified several developers we believed were violating our guidelines and terms of service. Beknown was one of them.  Beknown's use of the LinkedIn APIs in connection with this product violates LinkedIn’s API Terms of Use and Platform Guidelines by, at a minimum, using the APIs to send messages to promote BeKnown. Also, we have concerns that LinkedIn Content imported into BeKnown will be used in connection with Monster’s enterprise sourcing products, and, in effect, they will be charging fees for access to content sourced from the LinkedIn API.    We have an existing partner program for enterprise products, and we are in discussions with the Monster team about supporting their offerings directly.   I hope you understand that we have the restrictions and guidelines in our open developer program in place to help protect our members, our developers, and the LinkedIn platform alike from abuse. We are always looking to improve our guidelines, but it’s crucial that we enforce violations when they are discovered.  Adam

Teacher Martins's picture
Jul 14, 2011

Dears,
To my mind, a Real SOCIAL Professional Web must be encouraging as concerning the possibilities to share information & contacts. Pls, Re-Consider the Access to BeKnown!
Thnx. Tchr.Martin

Fabio Cabral Silva's picture
Jul 14, 2011

William Scotti's picture
Jul 14, 2011

Request beknown developer api

Topic locked